Professor Arnan Mitchell
Electrical and Computer Eng
+61 3 9925 2457
Science, Engineering & Health
- 2000 – Ph.D., RMIT University, Melbourne
- 1993 – B.Tech. (Hons), Macquarie University, Sydney
With the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University
- 2010 Jan onwards – Professor (Photonics and Electromagnetics)
- 2007 Jan to 2009 Dec – Associate Professor (Photonics and Electromagnetics)
- 2004 Jul to 2006 Dec – Senior Lecturer
With the Microelectronics Materials and Technology Centre (MMTC), RMIT University
- 2002 Feb to 2004 Jun – Key Researcher, Australian Photonics CRC
- 2001 Nov to 2002 Feb – Research Engineer, Redfern Integrated Optics (on secondment)
- 2000 Mar to 2001 Oct – Research Fellow
- 1999 Feb to 2000 Feb – Research Associate
- Professor (Photonics and Electromagnetics)
- Leader, Microplatforms Research Group
- RMIT Node Director, ARC Centre for Ultrahigh bandwidth Devices for Optical Systems (CUDOS)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
- Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE)
- Optical Society of America (OSA)
Areas of research and consulting expertise
- Integrated optics and photonics
- Photonic signal processing
- Lab-on-a-Chip technologies and Microfluidics
- Microfabrication and Microsystems
- 2014 – Co-Chair, Technical Program Committee (Optical Active Devices and Modules) Opto-Electronics and Communications Conference (OECC), Melbourne, Australia
- 2014 – OSA Appointed Co-Chair (Optoelectronic Devices and Integration), International Photonics and OptoElectronics Meeting (POEM), Wuhan, China
- 2012 – Co-chair, Conference on Optoelectronic and Microelectronic Materials and Devices (COMMAD), Melbourne, Australia
- 2008 – Conference Chair, SPIE International Symposium on SPIE Smart Materials, Nano- and Micro-Smart Systems, Melbourne, Australia
- 2006 – Chair, Technical Program Committee, Australian Conference on Optical Fibre Technology (ACOFT), Melbourne, Australia
Current Category 1 Grants
- ARC Centre of Excellence: ARC Centre for Ultrahigh bandwidth Devices for Optical Systems (CUDOS) (2011-2017)
- NHMRC Project Grant (APP1045756): R. Medcalf, A. Mitchell “New approaches to improve thrombolysis in ischaemic stroke” (2013-2016)
Recently completed Category 1 Grants
- ARC Discovery (DP110104966): A Mitchell, L. Bui “Ultra-fast serialised all optical image processing: addressing the electronic bottleneck in the world's fastest camera” (2011-2013)
- ARC Discovery Project (DP1096153): A. Mitchell, T. G. Nguyen, and T. Koch, “Novel silicon photonic devices harnessing new leakage behaviour” (2010-2013)
- ARC Linkage Project (LP100100696): A. Mitchell, T. G. Nguyen, M. Bhaskaran, and N. J. Baker, “Silicon photonic platform for quantum encryption and communications” (2010-2012)
Publications (as of March 2014)
Over 250 peer reviewed publications including 3 book chapters, 120 journal articles, 120 conference proceedings, and 3 patents.
Full list of publications can be found on the RMIT Research Repository.
Significant publications over the past 10 years include
- S-Y Tang, K. Khoshmanesh, V. Sivan, P. Petersen, A.P. O’Mullane, D. Abbott, A. Mitchell, and K. Kalantar-zadeh. “Liquid metal enabled pump.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences: 201319878 (2014)
- V. Sivan, S. Tang, A. O'Mullane, P. Petersen, N. Eshtiaghi, K. Kalantar Zadeh, and A. Mitchell, “Liquid metal marbles”, Advanced Functional Materials, 23, 144-152 (2013) [ Cover Art ]
- I. Khodasevych, C.M. Shah, S. Sriram, M. Bhaskaran, W. Withayachumnankul, B.S.Y. Ung, H. Lin, W. S. T. Rowe, D. Abbott, and A. Mitchell “Elastomeric silicone substrates for terahertz fishnet metamaterials.” Applied Physics Letters 100 061101 (2012) [ Cover 50th anniversary issue].
- G. Kostovski, U. Chinnasamy, S. Jayawardhana, P.R. Stoddart, and A. Mitchell “Sub-15nm Optical Fiber Nanoimprint Lithography: A Parallel, Self-aligned and Portable Approach.” Advanced Materials 23 531 (2011) [ Cover Art ]
- C. Zhang, K. Khoshmanesh, A. Mitchell, K. Kalantar-Zadeh,“Dielectrophoresis for manipulation of micro/nano particles in microfluidic systems” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 396 401 (2010)
- W. S. Nesbitt, E. Westein, F. J. Tovar-Lopez, E. Tolouei, A. Mitchell, J. Fu, J. Carberry, A. Fouras, and S. P. Jackson, “A shear gradient-dependent platelet aggregation mechanism drives thrombus formation,” Nature Medicine 15 665-673 (2009).
- H. Emami, N. Sarkhosh, L. A. Bui, and A. Mitchell, “Amplitude independent RF instantaneous frequency measurement system using photonic Hilbert transform,” Optics Express 16 13707-13712 (2008).
- M. A. Webster, R. M. Pafchek, A. Mitchell, and T. L. Koch “Width dependence of inherent tm-mode lateral leakage loss in silicon-on-insulator ridge waveguides,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters 19 429-431 (2007).
- C. R. Rosberg, D. N. Neshev, W. Krolikowski, A. Mitchell, R. A. Vicencio, M. I. Molina, and Yu. S. Kivshar, “Observation of surface gap solitons in semi-infinite waveguide arrays,” Physical Review Letters 97 083901 (2006).
- P. Domachuk, M. Cronin-Golomb, B.J. Eggleton, S. Mutzenich, G. Rosengarten, and A. Mitchell, “Application of optical trapping to beam manipulation in optofluidics” Optics Express, 13 7265 (2005)