Professor Arnan Mitchell
Electrical and Computer Eng
+(61 3) 9925 2457
Science, Engineering & Health
- 1999 – Ph.D., RMIT University, Melbourne
- 1993 – B.Tech. (Hons), Macquarie University, Sydney
With the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University
- 2010 Jan onwards – Professor (Photonics and Electromagnetics)
- 2007 Jan to 2009 Dec – Associate Professor (Photonics and Electromagnetics)
- 2004 Jul to 2006 Dec – Senior Lecturer
With the Microelectronics Materials and Technology Centre (MMTC), RMIT University
- 2002 Feb to 2004 Jun – Key Researcher
- 2001 Nov to 2002 Feb – Research Engineer, Redfern Integrated Optics (on secondment)
- 2000 Mar to 2001 Oct – Research Fellow
- 1999 Feb to 2000 Feb – Research Associate
- Professor (Photonics and Electromagnetics)
- Leader, Microplatforms Research Group
- Node Director, ARC Centre for Ultrahigh bandwidth Devices for Optical Systems (CUDOS)
- Project Leader, Nanolithography and Lab-on-a-Chip Platforms, Nano Materials and Devices, Platform Technologies Research Institute
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
- Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE)
- Optical Society of America (OSA)
Areas of research and consulting expertise
- Integrated optics and photonics
- Photonic signal processing
- Lab-on-a-Chip technologies and Microfluidics
- Microfabrication and Microsystems
- 2010 – Technical Committee, Conference on Optoelectronic and Microelectronic Materials and Devices (COMMAD), Canberra, Australia
- 2010 – Scientific Program Committee, Australian Conference on Optical Fibre Technology (ACOFT), Melbourne, Australia
- 2008 – Conference Chair, SPIE International Symposium on SPIE Smart Materials, Nano- and Micro-Smart Systems, Melbourne, Australia
- 2006 – Chair, Technical Program Committee, Australian Conference on Optical Fibre Technology (ACOFT), Melbourne, Australia
Current Category 1 Grants
- ARC Centre of Excellence: ARC Centre for Ultrahigh bandwidth Devices for Optical Systems (CUDOS) (2011-2017)
- ARC Discovery Project (DP1096153): A. Mitchell, T. G. Nguyen, and T. Koch, “Novel silicon photonic devices harnessing new leakage behaviour” (2010-2013)
- ARC Linkage Project (LP100100696): A. Mitchell, T. G. Nguyen, M. Bhaskaran, and N. J. Baker, “Silicon photonic platform for quantum encryption and communications” (2010-2012)
- NHMRC Development Grant (DG1000689): A. Mitchell, W. S. Nesbitt, and S. P. Jackson, “Microfluidic device for quantitative assessment of blood” (2010-2011)
Publications (as of August 2010)
3 book chapters, 60 journal articles, 79 conference proceedings, and 3 patents: Total of 145. Full list of publications can be found on the RMIT Research Repository.
Significant recent publications include:
- L. A. Bui, M. D. Pelusi, T. Vo, N. Sarkhosh, H. Emami, B. J. Eggleton, and A. Mitchell, “Instantaneous frequency measurement system using optical mixing in highly nonlinear fiber,” Optics Express 17 22983-22991 (2009).
- W. S. Nesbitt, E. Westein, F. J. Tovar-Lopez, E. Tolouei, A. Mitchell, J. Fu, J. Carberry, A. Fouras, and S. P. Jackson, “A shear gradient-dependent platelet aggregation mechanism drives thrombus formation,” Nature Medicine 15 665-673 (2009).
- G. Kostovski, D. J. White, A. Mitchell, M. W. Austin, and P. R. Stoddart, “Nanoimprinted optical fibres: Biotemplated nanostructures for SERS sensing,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics 24 1531-1535 (2009).
- H. Emami, N. Sarkhosh, L. A. Bui, and A. Mitchell, “Amplitude independent RF instantaneous frequency measurement system using photonic Hilbert transform,” Optics Express 16 13707-13712 (2008).
- M. A. Webster, R. M. Pafchek, A. Mitchell, and T. L. Koch “Width dependence of inherent tm-mode lateral leakage loss in silicon-on-insulator ridge waveguides,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters 19 429-431 (2007).
- C. R. Rosberg, D. N. Neshev, W. Krolikowski, A. Mitchell, R. A. Vicencio, M. I. Molina, and Yu. S. Kivshar, “Observation of surface gap solitons in semi-infinite waveguide arrays,” Physical Review Letters 97 083901 (2006). [Citations: 78]
- P. Domachuk, M. Cronin-Golomb, B. J. Eggleton, S. Mutzenich, G. Rosengarten, and A. Mitchell, “Application of optical trapping to beam manipulation in optofluidics,” Optics Express 13 7265-7275 (2005). [Citations: 28]
- A. Perentos, G. Kostovski, and A. Mitchell, “Polymer long-period raised rib waveguide gratings using nano-imprint lithography,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters 17 2595-2597 (2005).