Finalising your finances
Find out more about managing your money.
- Pay any outstanding bills.
- If there are bills that are scheduled to arrive after your departure, notify the organisation of your forwarding address.
Before closing your bank account
- Make sure to stop any direct debits or credits that are linked to your account including cancelling your credit cards.
- Transfer any money to your preferred bank account in your home country.
- If you have asked for you bond refund to be paid into your bank account, do not close your account until this has been received.
- Complete a tax return before returning home if you have been working while in Australia. For further advice or assistance contact a Student Wellbeing Advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Ask your employer for a payment summary. Some employers will provide the summary but others will not issue it until the end of the financial year.
- Provide your employer with a forwarding address so that they can mail the employment summary or any other documentation you do not receive before you leave.
- Once you have left Australia you can reclaim money that your employer has contributed to a superannuation fund on your behalf.
- Complete the superannuation provider’s form to withdraw your funds if you are leaving Australia. Most companies will have these forms available online.
- To reclaim your superannuation you may need to providing evidence that you have left Australia such as a copy of your passport or a cancelled/expired visa.