Mr Patrick Clifton
Aerosp Mech & Manuf Eng
+(61 3) 9925 6130
Science, Engineering & Health
- PhD (Mechanical Engineering), RMIT University
- BEng(Hons) (Mechanical Engineering), University of Adelaide
- BLLB(Hons), University of Adelaide
- Organising Committee Chair, APCST 2011, Melbourne
- SAMME Postgraduate Researcher Award, RMIT University, 2009
- SEH College Research Committee Member, RMIT University, 2009
- Review Panel Member, APCST 2009, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Australian Postgraduate Award (APA), 2007
- Kelly & Co. Prize for Intellectual Property Law, Adelaide University, 2006
- Invited Judge of the IEAust National Excellence Awards, 2005
- Awarded the Andy Thomas Scholarship, Adelaide University, 2001
Areas of Specialty:
Sports technology research; statistical performance analysis; prediction modelling; strategic planning; stakeholder engagement; market opportunity mapping; project management; product development;
- Principal investigator of a 3 year research contract with Mizuno Corporation Ltd in Japan. The work is aimed at identifying and developing innovation opportunities for running shoes within the Australian marketplace
- Ongoing research partnership with Vapormedia Pty Ltd to investigate optimal team structure and successful trade strategies for fantasy AFL football
- Project manager of a collaboration with Fachhochschule Ingolstadt University in Germany, to investigate sustainable hydrogen energy systems for both passenger vehicles and long haul freight trucks. A novel prototype hydrogen fuel cell freight truck has been developed which aims to revolutionise the trucking industry within Australia
Teaching & Supervision:
- Responsible for research project supervision and undergraduate teaching duties in sports engineering, advanced mechanical design, fluid mechanics, robotics, statics and dynamics
- Clifton P, Subic A, (2012) Snowboards. Routledge Handbook of Sports Technology and Engineering. In-press
Peer reviewed journal articles
- Clifton P, Subic A, Mouritz A (2011) Structural model for prediction of thermo-mechanical properties of fabric sandwich composites. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science; 225(11): 2525-2536.
- Clifton P, Subic A, Sato Y, Mouritz A (2009) Effects of temperature change on snowboard stiffness and camber properties. Sports Technology; 2: 87-96.
- Subic A, Clifton P, Beneyto-Ferre J, LeFlohic A, Sato Y, Pichon V. (2009) Investigation of snowboard stiffness and camber characteristics for different riding styles. Sports Engineering; 11(2): 93–101.
- Subic A, Clifton P, Beneyto-Ferre J. (2008) Identification of innovation opportunities for snowboard design through benchmarking. Sports Technology; 1: 65–75.
- McIntosh P, Subic A, Lee KW, Clifton P, Trivailo P, Leary M. (2012) An adaptable virtual engineering platform for distributed design based on open source game technology. Advances in Engineering Software; 43(1): 71-86.
Peer reviewed conference papers
- Clifton P, Burton M, Perret-Ellena T, Bedford A, Schembri A, Subic A. (2011) Identification of performance requirements for user-centred design of running shoes. Procedia Engineering; 13:100-106.
- Clifton P, Subic A, Mouritz A. (2010) Snowboard stiffness prediction model for any composite sandwich construction. Procedia Engineering; 2(2): 3163-3169.
- Subic A, Clifton P, Kovacs J, Mylonas F, Rochefort A. (2010) Experimental installation for evaluation of snowboard simulated on-snow dynamic performance. Procedia Engineering; 2(2): 2605-2611.
- Clifton P, Subic A, Sato Y, Feih S. (2009) Finite element analysis of snowboard structural properties for different riding conditions. 4th Asia-Pacific Congress on Sports Technology, Honolulu, Hawaii, September 21-22.
- Clifton P, Subic A, Sato Y, Mouritz A. (2009) Hypothesis testing and description of temperature change effects on snowboard structural properties. 4th Asia-Pacific Congress on Sports Technology, Honolulu, Hawaii, September 21-22.
- Subic A, Clifton P, Beneyto-Ferre J. (2008) Defining strategies for novel snowboard design. In Estivalet M. and Brisson P. (Eds.) The Engineering of Sport 7: Volume 1, Biarritz, 2-6 June. Springer, Paris.
- Subic A, Clifton P, Beneyto-Ferre J, LeFlohic A, Sato Y, Pichon V. (2008) Analysis of snowboard stiffness and camber properties for different riding styles. In Estivalet M. and Brisson P. (Eds.) The Engineering of Sport 7: Volume 1, Biarritz, 2-6 June. Springer, Paris.
- Kestell C, Clifton P. (2004) Combining problem based learning with extra curricula interests, 15th Annual Conference for the Australasian Association for Engineering Education, Toowoomba, Australia, September 27-29.