The archives include both digital and material in the following areas:
- Automotive design
- Fashion design
- Gold and silversmithing
- Graphic design (Communication design)
- Industrial design
- Interior design
- Landscape architecture
- Design education
- Sound design
- Textile design
The RDA is in the process of creating an online catalogue of its collections. Until the catalogue is online, inventory reports, if available, may be made available to visiting researchers.
The RMIT Design Archives Collection Policy is in the process of being reviewed. It will be posted when available.
The RMIT Design Archives collects material relating to Melbourne design from the twentieth century onwards, including architecture, ceramics, fashion and textile design, graphic design (communication design), industrial design, interior design, gold and silversmithing, landscape architecture and photography.
These Archives represent historical and contemporary practices which together tell the story of Melbourne as a design city.
The RMIT Design Archives Collection Policy guides the acquisition, management, development and care of collections.
The RDA does not provide a valuation service. A list of Government approved valuers and information for donors who may be interested in the Program can be found on the website for the Cultural Gifts Program.
If you are interested in donating items to the RMIT Design Archives please email: firstname.lastname@example.org and provide details of the proposed donation (see below). A staff member will generally respond to your enquiry within five working days from receipt of email (excluding public holidays and staff leave).
- Your full name
- Your address including State
- Telephone number – landline
- Telephone number – mobile
- Email address
- A general description of the items you wish to offer for donation
- How items came into your possession? (ie purchase, inheritance, other)
- Are you the legal owner of the object/s (circle)?
- If you are not the legal owner of the object/s, are you able to supply the contact details of the legal owner?
- Are you the creator of the object/s?
- If you were not the sole creator, if available, please supply name/s and contact details of co-creators
- Do you own exclusive intellectual property / copyright in the object/s? If you are not sure about copyright, please advise
- If you are not the creator of the objects, please supply the name and contact details of the creator, if known. If the creator is deceased please provide details of next of kin, trustee of the estate, if known
- Please provide a curriculum vitae if available
- Please provide any other detail that you believe may be of interest below. For example:
- History of the object/s
- Birth / death dates; business establishment dates
- Information about the relationship you have to the object/s or their previous owner
- Other information about the object/s (technique, date created, etc.)
- Biographical information